Focus on fiction notes
- Fiction is a narrative that springs from the imagination of the writer.
- 2 major types of fiction are novels and short stories
- short stories and novels share in length and complexity, short stories and novels share the elements
of character setting, setting plot, and theme
- the important characters are called the main characters
- the miner roles of the characters are called minor characters
- some characters are 2 dimensional with only 1 or 2 dominate traits
- a fully developed character possesses many traits mirroring the psychological complexity of a real person.
- Dynamic characteristics is when they stay the same
- Static characteristics are when they change
· Where the story takes place
· Refers to the chain of related events that take place in the story
· Usually the events of the story progress by a conflict
· lays groundwork for the plot
and provide essential background info for the reader
· complications usually rises
· turning point of the action,
the moment the action hit its peak.
· occurs after the climax, often
the conflict is resolved, sometimes called denouement, from the word meaning uniting.
- Important idea or message conveyed by a work of fiction
- Perception about life or human nature that the writer shares with the reader
- Themes are seldom stated directly